Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You mentioned to DM that the evola rods are overrated could you please expand on that, ie pricey, make up of rod. Just curious on your thoughts. I haven't heard anyone complain that owns them and they can't keep them in stock at yama's or phx fishing.

2Dogs
dw

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
They are a Jap rod, you are paying for the name. it is a IM-7 blank whith a different weave which gives it a slightly higher modules blank. there is only one manufacturer that makes a true Im-8 blank and it is very brittle. this rod costs about 75.00 to produce. because of the name it sells (status symbal). they did the rod right, put the right size guides in the right location and designed a great grip. they are like megabass rods, great rods, but worth 400.00. no. there is IM-6 graphite mat and IM-7 graphite mat. the resins make up the rest. i can and have made up a IM-7 Graphite USA blank and used the same handle componets and hand lathed the front cork grip. this rod is so sensative you could feel a gnat fart at the end. the key is not using shims for the reel seat. solid blank to reel seat is the key. proper guide placement is also a big plus. I have been making rods for 15 years, dont get me wrong, they are a great rod and will out do a loomis in sensativity and casting, but are not worth 400.00 bucks.you are paying for the name

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, if the rods cost 400 bucks as you say, I would have to agree with you. I've seen them on the internet from 270 to 300 bucks. Local shops sell them for 300.00. If they are made right I wouldn't find the price excessive, It is no different than spending over 320.00 for a glx loomis or the high grade St croix which both are excellent rods. My only complaint about your response was your lead in sentence. Since this is an open site and there are varied individuals reading this site I believe the proper terminolgy would have been Japanese rods not (jap) rods as you indicated. Some of us would assume this as a derogatory statement, otherwise thanks for you input.

2Dogs

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Not meant in a negative manner, just too lazy to spell it all out. As for the price of the rod as time goes on the price has gone down. last year the price was around 400.00. As for prices, alot of what you pay for is the name. componets for a rod with the top of the line stuff run about 35.00. (grips, reel seat and guides). blanks run about 75.00 for top of the line.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Pearl Harbor will never be forgotten but that was a different Generation, Should we hold a grudge for the "sins of the father"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts