Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I fish Pleasant alot and whenever I throw topwater early morning I never get bit. Is topwater at pleasant just a big joke? Ive tried gunfish, rico's and spooks and they just never produce with the exception of throwing into boils. It seems like when I stop throwing topwater about 8 and switch to plastics I start to catch fish and I just wondered if anyone else see's a similar pattern. Anyway just wanted to ask around and see if topwater is even worth doin at that lake. Thanks alot,

-Mike

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Try working a buzzbait around the shoreline just north of the 4-lane ramp early A.M.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
It seems that the topwater bite has slowed down the last 3 weeks or so. The surface water temperature dropped from 83°F to 77-78°F during that time and maybe that has affected the topwater bite. I'm not sure.

I have found the same thing lately when I fish topwater first thing in the morning and not catch a lot on topwater. Then when I switch to a dropshot rig, I catch fish. Still having said all that, I'm not going to abandon throwing topwaters.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
i have allways had top water luck at plez-butt crack of dawn for about an hour and a half and the same at evening time, pop rs' in shad pattern works every time.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
At Pleasant: throw top water until your arms fall off now through March.

Run parallel along the shoreline and cover a lot of water on main lake points and make your casts long, clear water works to your disadvantage. Bites will be far and few between, but quality bites will be on buzzbaits slow rolled back to the boat and small Ricos in January rock! My go to baits are pictued below...... On Pleasant winds are a blow'n; throw the 1/2 oz large B-2, water is like glass, throw the 3/8 buzzer. the smaller the better on smooth surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
another thing too is you can catch fish on topwater year round. the key is in the cadence. i remember 2 years ago fishing the ranger tourny and we had two nice fish that came off a spook. it had rained early that morning and was cold. water was in the low 40s. i will never forget it, we started fishing a striper boil so we could have a chance at goon fish. i had been told to fish enough striper and you start getting bass. thats what happened.moral of it is the cadence and bait you throw, if you want it bad enough dont rig anything else up and keep trying.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've caught bass at Pleasant in the river shallows tossing a jitterbug, from just before dusk on through the night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts