Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 TR186 with a Marine Master trailer. The trailer has oil hubs. I heard of an issue of bearing failure after the cotter key coming loose and the lock nut backing up.
I jacked up my trailer and checked the tires for up and down and side to side play. Both tires had a little play side to side and up and down. The right side seemed to have a little more play then the left. Is this normal? How much play is okay?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hub

I'm making long road trip in a few weeks and don't want a problem. If this is an issue it's under warranty but I don't want to take it in and let is sit around for a couple of weeks for a job I could do in an hour.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Good plan to check them out. Did the same thing before I headed down to Amistad. If the bearings are like any vehicle you want a little play so that there is no drag.

You ever repack wheel bearings on a vehicle? Once the nut is driven down onto the bearing you shake the assemble and then tighten the nut some more to insure it is seated properly, this is preloading. Once it is seated the nut is backed off just enough so that there is no drag on the bearings and the assemble spins somewhat freely. Turn the spindle and listen. If the bearings are compressed because the nut has not been backed out they will burn out. Align the nut to the spindle and insert the cotter pin.

Sorry just noticed you have a Triton, go to www.ufpnet.com I am betting you have UFP hubs on your trailer.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
There shouldnt be play in your bearings. You can have no play with with no drag. Ive been working at a trailer shop for 6 years now. If theres play get them looked at before you have a problem

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
there should be zero lash in the bearing, meaning no play at all they need to be checked to see if they are going bad or starting brindle or pit this will cause play. zero lash then tighten or back off just enough to put cotter pin in. jmho. ase master tech 35yrs.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Per page 2 of the UFP service information PDF for Trailer Buddy Axles by UFP

http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Trailer Buddy GOLD Axle Maintenance.pdf

BEARING CHECK

If the bearings need to be adjusted or replaced, you must contact UFP first. We
will help diagnose the problem and send instructions to assure that the work is
done correctly. Failure to contact UFP before the work is begun may void the
warranty.
Wheel bearings have been precisely torque-set at the factory. To maximize
bearing life, we suggest you check bearing adjustment at least once a year by
following this procedure. Jack up one side of the trailer. Grip the edge of the
tire and see if you can rock or move it. If you can move the outer edge of the
tire more than 1/8”, your bearings need to be re-adjusted.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hubs

Thanks guys. I was looking through my boat paper for the document and could not find it. On my old Ranger I had the document and thought my Triton did too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts