Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually use P line but thought I would try something a little less pricey. I found that the 10 lb Trilene XL has a lot of stretch to it as well as more memory. I tried to break off a snagged spoon and that stuff stretched all the way across my boat before it finally broke! I also almost lost a lure because the line twisted itself and snapped on the cast(crankbait). Anybody else have an opinion on the XL?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have it on my spinning reels in 8#. It has done it's job, and landed some pretty decent fish. I think I've only broken 2 or 3 fish off on it since the summer started (still too many).
To tell you the truth and I know that you wont agree with it but I've had the best success with 8 pound Rapala finnesse on my spinning reels. I just bought a few more spools of it and I might try their long cast line or tough line in 12 pound on a baitcast rod to see how I like it. It's inexpensive and I've had no problems so far with it. Josh

·
Registered
997 Posts
Jack, I hate that stuff! I've had nothing but problems everytime I've had it on my reels. Never again. I think your chances of getting a fish in the boat are better with a basketball for a bobber, a big rope for line, an anchor for a hook and my ex for bait. Oh wait... I tried that already except I didn't use the bobber.....

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Damn sorry Jack! I havent had any problems atleast not yet!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what your hinting at is you dont't like it either? :) I have 2 rolls of ten and one of 8 if anybody wants this stuff.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Interesting experiences you guys bring up.
Back in August I put P-Line on a spinning reel and spooned the first day (fresh line). I was with Rippinlips and experienced the worst line twist ever. At one point I was merely popping the rod upward and it flat out broke - not even on a snag! Spooning is rough on lines. Conversely, I experimented with less expensive Trilene XT when I bought heavy line (20lb.) for big topwater baits on a baitcaster. I was pleasantly pleased with it and my experience would have me buy it again.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill I had problems with it on Cranks,it worked ok spooning except for the stretch(I use a swivel for spooning). do you want the 3 spools I have?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Trilene xl lo-vis green is the only line I use for my spinning reels. :D 8 lbs. for drop-shottin and 12 for anything else. I use lo-vis green yo-zuri hibred for my bait casters and don't plan on switching anytime soon :D Hey Lips, when you said you used rope you were refering to 6lb stren wer'nt ya :shock: ( I hate that stuff)

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
My thoughts:
Garbage.
I had such bad luck with it I wrote Berkley a letter and they sent me some spools of their newest stuff at the time, Select. That was pretty nice of them. I like the XT (Not anything over the 12lb though, lost a good fish on 20lb XT in03) and big game, an djust started using VANISH for my C rig leaders.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Nothing personal to anyone but just want to point out something...so often people lose a supposed big fish due to any number of reasons but when the line snaps it seems automatically it was the line's fault. Other possibilities are that the line was too old, sufferd from too much abrasion, drag wasn't loose enough, etc., etc. Everyone has their opinions and the answer to any questions on rods, reels, line, etc. comes down to one critical thing - confidence. Plain and simple. If you're out using something you're not comfortable with it can get in your head. When that happens you're already somewhat behind the 8ball. Are their better products than others - certainly. More times than not, however, we tend to shift the blame for problems elsewhere. JMHO

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill this stuff was just spooled on, it does cast nicely but when I went to cast that luckycraft lure again the line just twisted up and snapped, if not for Greg Hornes sharp eyes I would have lost that lure and been VERY pissed off ,it also had so much stretch to it I walked from the front of my boat to the back before I could break it off. Josh you know my opinion of Rapala line! :) It cost me too many fish. I guess I will stay with P line,it's pricey but I have confidence in it.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Franklin posted the Suffix....Im sure of it. 8)

Same with my XT big fish breakoff/anger fest I had. Just spooled on the night before. The only other factor besides crappy line could have been a weak knot. I was flipping a jig and I set on the fish, fought her enough to see her(about 4 seconds), then POP...gone. :cry:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually do have some Suffix dna line spooled on a baitcaster but Have not really used it much since its 17lb test and I use 10lb mostly except for the bigger swim baits.

G

·
I use the Sufix DNA and Tritanium as well. Have had nothing but good things to say about it. The DNA is low stretch and it sinks. Its also made in the Blue/Gray color besides the moss green. Check with Waterdogs or your tackle store and see if they can get it. The Tritanium is very strong but not recommended for spinning unless you go down to 6lb. It's got about the same stretch as much of the Flouro's out there. Check it out!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've been wanting to try that Stren Iron Silk but that bright green color keeps pushing me away.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Berklet makes the IronSilk. It's OK - different - takes a little getting used to. I bought one spool but never got another.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I don't know about all the P-Lines, but I like the Floroclear line. I also use a swivel on my lures when I vertically jig with spoons. I tried Suffix dna 10 lb. test line that was spooled at the local tackle store and it sounded like chain going through the guides. There was so much chain action (coiling going through the guides) that I could only cast about half the distance I usually cast with other mono lines. Just my 2¢. 8)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts