Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it has been along time since I have made any posts here. Been real busy with alot of things. I finally have a chance to get my boat up and running good for when I get a chance to get out(hopefully soon).

Awhile back, actually many months ago, I posted a question about my trim not working right. The motor will go down to the ground, but does nothing when I push the button to go back up. I think I remember something about a solenoid or something like that, but thats all I remember.

Where exactly is the solenoid and what exactly does it look like if that sounds like it is the problem. And as always ANY help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Most likely it is a trim relay... There should be two of them located under your motor cowling. One for up and one for down. They sit side by side and are usually in plain sight. Unplug both relays, swap locations, and see if it moves the other direction. If it does, then it's one of the relays, if not look at the switch or wiring.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Like DaveH and Boat Cop said, it sounds like the trim relay. Swapping the relays and testing it will tell you for sure. If you swap them and it now goes up but not down, it's the relay. You could also have a problem with the "up" circuit but swapping the relays will eliminate this possibility. On my 60 HP Johnson, the relays were on the right side of the motor, near the back. On my 150 Merc, the relays are directly on the back, mounted with shock reducing rubber insulators. Those relays take a beating when mounted directly to the motor. All of the trim relays I've seen are small black boxes like Boat Cop described. They plug into the sockets they sit in but they might be hard to unplug at first.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
trim relay - no doubt...been there done that too much! I always carry a couple of spares with me. It paid off recently at Canyon when some guysd had that problem coming out at the launch - plug in new one - done deal!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.