Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried a smaller trout swimbait over at Tempe Town Lake? I saw one at Sportsman's wharehouse that was I think 5 inches. I know the bass over at TTL aren't too big but there ought to be some in the 3 to 5 range that could feed on the smaller trout. Also has anyone ever tried catching some of the stocked trout and using them as bait out at Canyon or Saugaro?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Jason,
Your first idea isnt a bad one about going to TTL and tossing a smaller trout swim bait.
Your second idea is not good at all in fact it is illegal, before you do that you might want to read your fishing regulations on use of live bait on what is legal and what is not. You cannot use a sport fish ie. bass (white, largemouth, smallmouth, and yes no yellow bass either), trout, catfish etc for bait.
Just a reminder before one of our AZGFD stops you, oh wait, you wont get stopped, they dont even come out to the lakes anymore(none that I have seen). As a good sportsman (which I am sure you are) it is advisable not to use Trout for bait.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I volunteer myself to go toss one of Franklins smaller trout baits at TTL to find out if they will hit it. Results will be posted a week after the last trout stocking there.... :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info...I was wondering if it was legal or not. That explains why no one ever talks about doing it. Does the same thing apply for using bluegill as bait for flatheads? I'll have to get a smaller swim bait and try it over at TTL, and a big one and try it out at canyon. What size would you recommend, 9", 12"?

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I dont think bluegill fall into that catagory, and on the AZGF site they tell you to use them for bait! :lol:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
JasonD

Are those Storm Wild Eye swimbaits? They make a trout colored on in all sizes, but I am looking to get some in the 6" size. They also make a 9" version that looks like it might be worth a shot.

SteveM

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ones I saw were castaic over at Sportsman's Warehouse. I don't remember the exact sizes, but I think they had a 12", a 6" and a 4". Maybe they only had 2 sizes, I don't remember exactly, When I saw the smaller size it made me think of TTL. I'll probably get back in there in a week or two to buy a big one and a smaller one.

G

·
Swim Baits

Last year, Waterdog Willies had a pretty good selection of size and brand of swim baits. Give them a try. I go to the one at McClintock and Baseline.

BT

G

·
4" Castaic Rainbow Lure at TTL

Two or three weeks ago I beat up the north side of TTL with a 4" Castaic Rainbow Trout lure. I fished it on and off for about 4 hours. Nothing. By the way, I did catch a 4.5 lb LM there on a shad rap in September, and I've lost a couple that I am sure were bigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts