Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better late than never, I have caught on to this tax credit program. This program was originally set up in 1988 to help fund scholarships to put a private-school education within reach of the state's poorest students. In reality it is a way to divert tax money directly to a specific student. Here is how you can get the best private education for free!

If you owe taxes, instead of paying the tax, you can make a donation up to $1000 to the school of a friend or family member. You get a tax credit for the full amount and it’s deducted from their tuition. Is this great or what!
I can pay your kids tuition and you can pay mine – all with the tax money we don’t have to pay the government.
GOD I LOVE THIS COUNTRY.
From The Arizona Republic
“Since 1998, the private-school program has diverted $349 million from taxpayers to private tuition organizations that have little oversight from the state. Taxpayers receive tax credits for their gifts, and some have swapped donations with others to help finance private-school costs for their own or relatives' children. “
WAKE UP AMERICA!

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's clear you don't understand a thing about taxes. Taxes and tax credits are designed to influence how people spend their money. In this case, the tax credit encourages people to send kids to school. This is way better than the alternative. I'd rather pay 1k toward tuition than give the government an extra 1k to do whatever they choose with.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"some have swapped donations with others to help finance private-school costs for their own or relatives' children. “
I do understand tax credits and you do not understand right from wrong. This is not paying your taxes and giving the money to a family member through the misuse of the program. It's kind of legal, but a scam none the less.

·
Registered
393 Posts
First, you can't think of the money as the government's. If you are paying taxes, you probably have earned income. You are paying taxes on your earned income. It is your money. If there are credits and other incentives, then it is up to you - the taxpayer - to take advantage of them to lower your tax exposure. It isn't about right or wrong. Second, you can't honestly believe that what you're stating is some type of loophole. Believe it or not, a lot goes into designing tax credits and rates.

Did you purchase your home? Do you itemize? Why is it ok for you to lower your taxes by deducting your mortgage interest or donating to a charity that you choose? Really, your argument is weak.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A charity that I choose - OK - Earmark for a relative - not OK

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deductible but not a tax credit - right

·
Registered
500 Posts
The law is B.S. It is a violation of the First Amendment's separation of church and state provision. Essentially it is tax revenue that is being used to fund religious school educations. A tax is government revenue, a tax credit is government revenue unrealized, especially when it goes to fund programs a government entity cannot legally fund.

Then you look at who benefits. It was sold as a way for poor families to increase their access to private schools. In essence, to increase choice for poor families. But when you study who benefits it isn't poor people at all, it's the rich and middle class. That is not what taxes should do! They should not steal from the poor (don't forget a tax credit is lost tax revenue for a government) and give to the rich. Poor people can't afford private school tuition even with the tax credit. Yet rich families can, even without it.

Attached to this voucher in sheep's clothing is another provision that allows for a tax credit to public school extra-curricular activities. Guess who benefits from those? Students in schools with the wealthiest tax bases.

I, for one, am sick of the rich stealing my hard earned money and using it to increase their educational opportunities.

My advice, find the public school with the lowest socio-economic study body you can find (look for the school with the highest percentage of free and reduced lunch recipients) and use your tax credit opportunity ($200 for a single filer, $400 if you file jointly with a spouse) to give its kids better extra-curricular opportunities.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The tuition deduction is an above the line deduction with a max of $4K. It is far more beneficial to the taxpayer than the credit you are complaining about. You can even deduct tuition from one of those private, religious schools. Giving $400 to a kid to go to school is much better than giving that money to the gov to spend on pork.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Funny none of the "news" investigations that i have read mention the fact that this program has been upheld by the 9th circuit court of appeals. If the most liberal circuit court has given it the OK I doubt that it is going anywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts