Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Tourneys have a rod length limit of 7' which would exclude fly rods? Why is that? I would like to play.

2. A friend just invited me to fish Scottsdale Ranch Lake (Via Linda & Shea). Has anyone fished this water? He has a 10', 2 seat Pond Prowler with a trolling motor from BPS. Is this a stable platform for 2 guys plus battery and gear?

OTF:)

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
tournys have a max rod length of 8' been like that for ever, they went off of BASS rules.

Randy always enforced it Federation always enforced it. ABA enforced it( randy) ie if you fish with a fly rod it needs to be 8' or under. I asked in one MBC tourny 2 years back.
enforced meanign if you asked you werent allowed to use one over 8 foot.

I believe BASS set the rule up so guys couldnt use 10-12 rods trying to get back behnd the weed mats in states like FLA. it would keep it all on a level playing feild.
some of the old federation guys would know as it was discussed a few times back then.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
When Dee Thomas and Dave Gliebe were kickin butt in tourneys ( flippin ) guys were bitchin that it wasn't fair. So to satisfy the cry babies tourney directors ask what was the minimum length that would work for Dee. He said 8ft. was long enough. He actually did better with a 8 footer and contiued to kick ass in the west. Gliebe did B.A.S.S. and did well in other parts of the country with the new technique. Dave has gone on to win more than 47 boats that I know of and is still out there stretching lips and Dee is still taking checks on the Delta. He has to be 70+ years young. Poles were 15 to 20 ft. back then and it was called dippin. They were able to acurratley drop the baits way back in the tulies that other guys were unable to reach with standard rods. Most rods back then were 5'6 and 6 foot long a 7 footer was rare in fresh water fishing. That is why 8' is the max length not because fly fishing is more deadly as alot of anglers believe. This is not to knock the fly slingers. I've seen em stick some big ass steelhead with there buggy whips.

·
Registered
644 Posts
1. Tourneys have a rod length limit of 7' which would exclude fly rods? Why is that? I would like to play.

2. A friend just invited me to fish Scottsdale Ranch Lake (Via Linda & Shea). Has anyone fished this water? He has a 10', 2 seat Pond Prowler with a trolling motor from BPS. Is this a stable platform for 2 guys plus battery and gear?

OTF:)
Platform is plenty stable for 2 guys to fish from unless you're asking about 2 guys standing up at the same time? If that's your question then I would say no.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
When Dee Thomas and Dave Gliebe were kickin butt in tourneys ( flippin ) guys were bitchin that it wasn't fair. So to satisfy the cry babies tourney directors ask what was the minimum length that would work for Dee. He said 8ft. was long enough. He actually did better with a 8 footer and contiued to kick ass in the west. Gliebe did B.A.S.S. and did well in other parts of the country with the new technique. Dave has gone on to win more than 47 boats that I know of and is still out there stretching lips and Dee is still taking checks on the Delta. He has to be 70+ years young. Poles were 15 to 20 ft. back then and it was called dippin. They were able to acurratley drop the baits way back in the tulies that other guys were unable to reach with standard rods. Most rods back then were 5'6 and 6 foot long a 7 footer was rare in fresh water fishing. That is why 8' is the max length not because fly fishing is more deadly as alot of anglers believe. This is not to knock the fly slingers. I've seen em stick some big ass steelhead with there buggy whips.
I knew it it wasnt for fly fishing Just made the statement that randy wouldnt let a fly rod be used over 8 feet long.

your right on the reasoning, it was talked about when I was in the federation way back when.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts