Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished McKellips Lake today (Urban Lake in North Scottsdale, right before it turns into Tempe) and caught 3 (biggest about 2.6 lbs.) on a craw colored Rat L Trap. I did happen to see at least 100 dead tilapia bloated up and a detriorated whitish color, and a whole bunch of 99% dead ones that were in very rough shape....I could tell b/c I could touch my rod tip right onto their backs and they wouldn't even budge, pretty uncharacteristic of a fish that darts away when you fart...sorry, bad analogy. Does anyone know wahts up with this? I can only assume that the Parks and Rec. people may have put a chemical into the water to control the tilapia population...or maybe it was something else? Please let me know...

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think Tilapia like the colder weather. Even though its not freezing they are a tropical fish. I have seen this (die -off) at Kiwanis Lake too.
Mike

·
Registered
815 Posts
They are from a tropical place where it stays warmer. I think they have them in the Mexico Bass lakes, they can live year round there. The game and fish restocks them here in the spring, once it warms up.

G

·
Tilapia die off

I think they are originally from Africa. We certainly don't have them in the colder lakes up where I live (white mountains).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts