Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one question...what happened to make them shut down? I found a 19' that looke sweeet and it's in the right price range but if they had boat problems that made them shut down I aint buying. I've checked out the web but haven't found anything. Also if there are any additional comments about these boats I'd appreciate it. I noticed someone here has one in the picture gallery. Thanks for the help.

-Dave King :wink:

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Dave.

Lots of things cause them to shut down. I heard its a good boat. If its a used boat and its in good condition then great.
Remember there is really nothing a boat company can really do for ya.( on a used boat) if you think about it. the whole boat is made of fiberglass, Its not like a car that you need parts for, the main thing is the engine. which you can get parts from anywhere .

the little parts you need on a boat would be things like guages hatch locks etc, these are all aftermarket parts anyhow and can be purchased almost anywhere.

I like to say if you like it and it floats then buy it.. Make sure you check the motor out with a compression checker before you buy it, even if its from a dealer.

BTW Cajun went out of business also, Which kinda sucked cause I wanted a Cajun Jacket(which I ened up getting one from Daryll Thanks Daryll).

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dave,
I believe I can shed some light on Viper boats. They are an awesome boat. Quality and ride second to none. The reason for the downfall was due to poor management and litigation w/ a manufacturer of defective gel coat (Neste), which by the way sold to other boat manufacturers as well. This faulty product affected primarily some '98-'99 models. Key word is some. It shows up as 'yellowed' gel coat. I saw a white 190D here in town that I was after at one time that was one those defective hulls. Viper Inc. is all but dead. There is a remote chance that they could come back under a new name, but it is not certain. I bought my '99 201D (in the gallery) used knowing they were in trouble. Like Del said, if it and the motor are solid to begin with, chances are you won't have any issues w/ later. I love mine. It's a fast hull, that when mated w/ a strong motor and propped correctly, will flat out scream w/o chine walking and handle like a vette. If you need more info on fair price values, send me a PM and I'll try to help some more. For more info, go to these websites:

http://pub25.ezboard.com/bviperowners

http://pub165.ezboard.com/fbbcboardfrm52

Hope this helps,
Miguel (MultipleMigs)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

It's a new 2002 model at Surf Land or whatever it's called. I'll have to get a closer look at it but from the pictures they look like beautiful boats. But hey, if I need any work done you could make a few bucks from it eh Delw :p

-Dave King

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dave,
Which one is it? Now that you know a little history, you have some bargaining power. They can be had rather inexpensively. Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a Cobra 190 which I just found out on the viper web site is actually an 18'8" boat and not 19' like it said on the dealer web site. I'd think that should also nock a few more bucks off.

-Dave King

·
Registered
118 Posts
If it's mated w/ a 200 EFI, that baby will scream around 70 mph. I believe that it's a demo if it's white/blue. These should run around 12-14K, maybe less. Compare w/ some on the Viper Board or BBC. Bottomline is anyone trying sell a Viper right now is at a disadvantage. Based on my experience, the 190s are harder to find used. One of the things I like about either of these (190 or 201) is that they have wider beam than most and they carry that beam far to the bow. It makes for excellent front deck space and rod storage. If your not worried about resale, then this could be a good thing. It's something to think about. I ,personally, planned on keeping this one for long time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"If it's mated w/ a 200 EFI, that baby will scream around 70 mph. I believe that it's a demo if it's white/blue."

That's the boat that I saw on the site. They are asking 24k for it though so it may take a little barganing to get it down to 14k. If I can though, it's a go and I'll be cruising the lakes with the rest of ya!

-Dave King

·
Registered
118 Posts
They'll never sell it for that price. IMO, keep an eye on it and either wait them out or seek elsewhere. It makes no sense to pay new price. If your going to do that, you're better off buying from a company that is still in business and will back their product. Used is a different story all together. You can find smoking deals on a boat that age.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I too have a 19' Viper.I bought mine in 1998,from a basspro,for $21.000.00.i couldn't pass up this great deal.it has a merc 225 efi,and the ride/speed is outstanding.my color is black/cherry and white .i have put a new motor on it since '98.the gel coat is still in great condition.the belige pumps,areators,batteries are easy to get too.battery charger is still workin great.Mine has only a 36 gallon gas tank,newer ones have a 45 gallon tank.one of the down falls to the boat,it's hard to hide on the lake lol. good luck !!.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Splitshot,
Was that Mark Townsend's ride? If so, I remember looking at it once. That's when I realized it had to be a Snake from that point on!!! I know what you mean when you can't hide very well. There's not many of 'em out there, and that's a good thing!!!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
mark towndsend had to hang onto his for 4 more months,so he hooked me up with Byron Velvick.went to Mead and he took me out in it,and the boat followed me home lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts