Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fish waterdogs? Im not even trying to get into heated 'Live bait sucks' debate, just would like a little info on how to fish these crazy things. PM me if you dont want to share it with the world. I just want to try a shot at a toad...and dont worry, I wont gut hook her or keep her..... 8)
thanks
Jason

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I prefer to fish dogs with Zebco 303 Rhino....I like to fish lighter line than my partner Franklin...I prefer 50lb test and the Rod...you guessed it Rhino as well, when presenting the bait make sure you vertically jig them repeatably with a quick snap of the rod tip or my personal favorite is to Slow roll them kinda like a spinnerbait, it gives the dog a fast spinning action thats killer. Jason all in all its kinda like splitshotting a Rico.
Late :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
34,659 Posts
My kids have done it once.

Everytime I went to waterdog willies they just always had to have the waterdogs or minnows, so I said what the heck and bought them. They always fished with artificials and have done very good.

so I bring 2 dozen minows and 6 dogs to the lake 2 kids.
I am dropshotting and texas rigging plastcis and slaying them, kids get bored and dani wants plastics now. well she had no dog on the line when reeled in so we put another one on. anthony reeled his on and it was gone also. finally figured out how to hook then so they didnt come off. having 1 left and 1 on eahc of the kids rods.

Dani freespools my curado and the dog takes off into 40 feet of water anthony does the same..(small weight on also)

Dani nails a huge ass catfish and anthony nails a 2+ lb bass,
both kids said it was boring and liked plastics better, they never asked for minnows or dogs again and its been a few years now.

This was in aug. I beleieve.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that catfish would have been fried dinner! So were you dropshot riggin them or rigging them like a c-rig? I was just going to C rig them off deep stuff around main lake channels and see what happens.
:lol: Jason

·
Premium Member
34,659 Posts
Mojo rigging on anthonys and dani used a texas rigged setup and just back hooked the dog on both rigs

Delw

G

·
jest found me a pond and put about 50 big ol dawgs in a cooler. gunna usem at the big bass tourney. i used to deep see fish an i only use circle hooks to hook em dawgs through da lips. a big ol bobber to keep em outa the brush n hang on WHAMO 10 ponder
yup things is like dynomite

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I've never tried them. But Jim Johnson told me a story about when his son was pretty young. They went fishing and had about a dozen waterdogs in a small cooler that tipped over in the boat without them noticing it. Jim never found all the waterdogs. About a week later he noticed an awful smell coming from his boat. 8)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yep Jason, I've used em. They're some serious fish catching baits. I used them a lot when I first started fishing (they weren't $15/doz then). My friend that got me into fishing never fished artificial baits. He had no TM on his boat, so we'd anchor somewhere. They were killer on Roosevelt. The best day we had there was a really hot one. We anchored his boat under the bridge by the dam in the shade. When the shade moved, so did we. We started with 3 dozen dogs. Using splitshots, we lost a few down in the big rocks. Just a wild hair, I threw one out weightless and let it free fall. We ended up going through all 3 dozen dogs in about 2 hours. The ratio was about 2/3 LM and 1/3 whiskers. We dashed to the marina to get more dogs and by the time we got back, some guy had taken our spot. We still caught a few more though.
I used them below Horseshoe Lakefor big cats too. They worked very well. I tied 2 Mr. Whisker catfish hooks on one line with a big bell sinker at the bottom. I hooked the dogs like a minnow... under the jaw and out through the top of the head.
It's easy and fun fishing, but I think I'm retired from it. I enjoy articial baits too much and have gut hooked too many bass with live bait. I try to be more careful these days.
Now don't go using them at BLBBD!!!!! By the way, I won't fish that (just thought I'd throw that in there).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.