Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some 8lb Test Trilene Sensation Mulit-Polymer line and I put it on my son's reel and spun it on with some tension. But everytime the line goes a little loose the line just unravels in a big mess.

I have always just used mono and this is my first mulit-poly and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any advice is appreciated....I want to take my son fishing this afternoon.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I bought some 8lb Test Trilene Sensation Mulit-Polymer line and I put it on my son's reel and spun it on with some tension. But everytime the line goes a little loose the line just unravels in a big mess.

I have always just used mono and this is my first mulit-poly and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any advice is appreciated....I want to take my son fishing this afternoon.

Thanks
try spooling a little mono on then spool your other line.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
It is a spinning reel. Abu Garcia 302.
What might have happend was the line was put onto the reel in the opposite direction it came off the refill spool is my best guess. Fishing line has memory and if it goes on backwards it is nasty.

Looking at the refill spool and the spool on the reel, the line has to be laid onto the spool on the reel in the same direction that it came off the refill spool. And like you did the first time apply a little tension when refilling and do not fill it too much. Some lines also go on a little nicer when they are wet, take the refill spool and soak it in a bowl of water and then fill it from the bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwGSTZ-c4Rc

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually did do that...I wonder though if I put too much line on...would that cause the line to want to just unravel that easily....I have never had this issue before. That is why I am wondering if was the multi-polymer.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
I actually did do that...I wonder though if I put too much line on...would that cause the line to want to just unravel that easily....I have never had this issue before. That is why I am wondering if was the multi-polymer.
I'm guilty of putting too much line on my spinning reels too, try taking some off and see what happenes. And some lines IMO have a serious memory problem and just will not work well on a spinning reel.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
i misread your post the first time. but too much line will wreck you on spinning reels. and what they said.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took off quite a bit and it is still doing it. It seems like it is working then it hits an area and just unravels really quickly. I think I am going to just get some mono line. Anyone recommend any good mono line?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Keep the line on there. I always pops out for me. Give it a few days and that should fix the problem.... unless you overspooled.

the line you're spooling up with might have less memory then what you're used to.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
What might have happend was the line was put onto the reel in the opposite direction it came off the refill spool is my best guess. Fishing line has memory and if it goes on backwards it is nasty.

Looking at the refill spool and the spool on the reel, the line has to be laid onto the spool on the reel in the same direction that it came off the refill spool. And like you did the first time apply a little tension when refilling and do not fill it too much. Some lines also go on a little nicer when they are wet, take the refill spool and soak it in a bowl of water and then fill it from the bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwGSTZ-c4Rc

Thats a great tip. I never knew it was that easy. I've done the same thing just in other ways but the way that the viedo shows is by far the easiest. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ghetto
I think you are right. I am going to leave the line on til Sunday and see if the memory sets in. For now I will just have him use one of my rods. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Take your spool off and soak the line in hot water (NOT STEAMING HOT) for three to five minutes. I always do this after spooling up and before an outing it helps take out memory.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Put the line on the floor reel 10 times, open your bail. If the line pops off turn the spool of line over, that way it is going on the same way the reel is turning.

·
Registered
195 Posts
try stretching the new line. Tie it to something and walk away from it about 30 yards or so, lock your bail and pull the rod to you and that will stretch alot of the memory out of the line then reel it in with pressure and i would spray some line treatment on the line as you reel it in that seems to help as well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another thingthat helps is while you are idleing pull 40 or 50 yards off the spool into the water <like you are trolling> let the line drag behind the boat with nothing tied on and that will let the line untwist I usually do it while headed to the bouy line when i launch. Again spray on a good line treatment like reelmagic or something as you rell it back on the spool

·
Registered
804 Posts
My friend and I have always used 2-10# Trilene XL and have never had a problem with it, best bang for the buck I think. There floro is ok there are much better for the price. The Trilene XT doesn't spool as well on spinning like XL and the feel of it for me has more drag than XL.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, I have been using sensation and love it agian. Pull out 30 yards or so and reel it back in putting tension on it with a wet rag, smooth leather pinched a foot in front of the reel. make sure nothing is on the end of the line, or tied to something AS you reel it in. The boat-ide thing works too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts