Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my transom saver is worn out so I've been shoppin around for something and came across these things, they go between the LU and the tilt trim. They look pretty sturdy... You guys see any problems with em?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I thought the idea of a transom saver was to transfer some of the shock of motor movement to the trailer.
+1 i couldn't agree with you more this set up is no different than what comes on the motor from the factory, it is just a heavy duty version and does absolutly nothing to help reduce the shock load on the transom from trailering. this set up still keeps all the trailering shock on the transom.........

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
+1 i couldn't agree with you more this set up is no different than what comes on the motor from the factory, it is just a heavy duty version and does absolutly nothing to help reduce the shock load on the transom from trailering. this set up still keeps all the trailering shock on the transom.........
+2 :hump:

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Well honestly I think its snake oil......going down the road on a trailer wont do shit to a transom....just think about the force the motor makes......dudes on the BBC run 300HP juiced up Yamis on ZX225s which are rated for 225HP.....I think a seen a 340HP on the back of a Tritanic...

That being said I'd get the cheapest thing out there, which is the conventional transom saver.....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
13,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Good post Franklin I run the old style transom saver and you can set the ride height to what you need and it keeps the motor straight. Me I would would forget to take the
centering clips off. I'm shure it's been done.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
One thing that seems to be missing here, is the fact that when trailering, your motor is up and away from the boat. The mechanics are much the same as when you are taught the proper way of lifting heavy objects, "keep the weight close to your body". When under power, the torque of the engine is directed forward against the transom. When trailering with the motor up away from the boat, the weight to a degree, is now pulling back and away from the boat. The new type is just directing the force back to the transom, where as the old style balances the weight to the trailer.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Looking at it from the point of what qualifies as an "improved" road anymore, not using the old school transom saver/motor toter is just asking for troubles. The constant shock loads incurred while trailering across ADOT's total lack of quality control should make one mandatory.

I actually had mine get jarred hard enough to rip the strap off one of the battery hold downs, and lay the battery on it's side between Safford and Globe. I'm LUCKY that the posts didn't arc across anything and start a fire.

·
Registered
746 Posts
......going down the road on a trailer wont do shit to a transom....just think about the force the motor makes......dudes on the BBC run 300HP juiced up Yamis on ZX225s which are rated for 225HP..........
He's got a point. The transoms on boats are meant to take the weight of the outboard and then the additional stress that conditions (water resistance) could force on the transom. You'll get a lot more torque on the water then you will trailering it under normal circumstances (4 wheeling excluded).
Tell me what you think about this? The boat and trailer are two separate pieces correct? With that said the boat could shift up and down or possibly move side to side on the trailer if you hit a bump hard enough or some other condition like a sudden stop causing this shift. If the transom saver is attached to the trailer and motor that shifting could cause added stress/strain on the hydraulics of the outboard. If your transom saver is connected to the motor and motor bracket (Merc and E-Tecs) or sleeves the motor hydraulics (Yamaha) it would be unaffected by the boat shifting on the trailer.
Now Evinrude has their own built in deal with the E-Tec motors but for other brands see the pics of transom savers below.
For Merc OptiMax -

For the Yamaha outboads -

I hope this helps make sense to you while searching for what to use.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He's got a point. The transoms on boats are meant to take the weight of the outboard and then the additional stress that conditions (water resistance) could force on the transom. You'll get a lot more torque on the water then you will trailering it under normal circumstances (4 wheeling excluded).
Tell me what you think about this? The boat and trailer are two separate pieces correct? With that said the boat could shift up and down or possibly move side to side on the trailer if you hit a bump hard enough or some other condition like a sudden stop causing this shift. If the transom saver is attached to the trailer and motor that shifting could cause added stress/strain on the hydraulics of the outboard. If your transom saver is connected to the motor and motor bracket (Merc and E-Tecs) or sleeves the motor hydraulics (Yamaha) it would be unaffected by the boat shifting on the trailer.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure i have put way more stress on the transom while running WO in rough conditions, than i have trailering down the road.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure i have put way more stress on the transom while running WO in rough conditions, than i have trailering down the road.
Definately did yesterday... HAHA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts