Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO there is a guy fishiing FLW delta as a Co-angler. He signed up wioth Jay Yelas. He has not fished any other FLW as a Co-angler. He bumped 3 CO anglers who had a shot at angler of the year out of the derby.
He
Won a Bassmaster classic
won a FLW Tour Championship
Won BASS Angler of the year
Fished in 14 bassmaster classics
has over 2 million in total prize money
been in the money 139 times fishing BASS
has almost 400k in winnings from FLW

He is a BASS elite Pro. They are going to the delta next year, he has never been there.

He drew a pro who has 2 back to back wins on the delta, on day one...

He is Mark Davis.

Yes THAT Mark Davis.....

is fiishing FLW as a Non-boater.....

THoughts?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
My thoughts?

The last time he fished FLW was 2007 according to their website.
The last time he placed in the top 10 in B.A.S.S. was in April of last year.

How did HE bump 3 co-angler of the year contenders out.

He drew a 2 time winner, well I guess that is why they call it the luck of the draw.

Why is he fishing as a co-angler? Who know's, I'll bet if you ask him he will tell you.

My thought is this.......So what!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he has not fished FLW since 2007 b/c he is fishing the elite side. There is WAY more to this than we know, the details will be coming out...I guess the media up there is having a field day with this.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I'm sure a lot of anglers are concerned about drawing him; he'll definitely catch some fish from behind the boat.

Biggest concern about this is if FLW made exceptions for him as you are implying with the draw and entry (it doesn't help that they already have a bad rep for the quality draws there "pro" co-angler gets).

·
Registered
284 Posts
FYI if you guys do not think "certain" players get some sort of preferential treatment, even LOCALLY, you are living in the "dream world".

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
OK...So what's the upside to this?????

He get's less money fishing from the back! What good is that?

The only conspiracy I can see here is if one of the people he draws wins the tournament. That is weak sauce at best.

Now if Joseph C wins this tourney and moves from 2nd to 1st in AOY standings then you might have something there, but Joseph C. has to fish with other anglers the rest of the tourney. I don't know, I guess we'll have to wait and see, god I love a good storyline.;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you read the dock talk section of bassfan it says Davis fished the delta last time bass was there. If he signed up with jay yelas and the people that got bumped didn't sign with a pro then he has a right to fish. Another option is he got in on the Yamaha sponsor slot. Its the way it goes and if you ask me smart on his part

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow

I did not see that before I posted....bummer...I talked to ish for a while last night and he is not sandbagging CRAP. He says he will be professional about it and extend the same courtesy to Mark as he would any other CO-angler (knowing ish and how he fishes the delta this is funny to me).

Ish said it best, you can win anywhere on this pond and it is always changing.

He does feel bad for the dudes that got bumped,

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Maybe he lost his boating license because of a BWI.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
FLW does do some funny funny pairings...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
He's looking for spots. Get Paul Hodges opinion on this matter, he did the same thing at Havasu. Signed up as a Co for a Won, right before signing up as a Pro for an upcoming FLW or Stren, don't remember which. It's a cheap way to get a guide trip on new water.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
He's looking for spots. Get Paul Hodges opinion on this matter, he did the same thing at Havasu. Signed up as a Co for a Won, right before signing up as a Pro for an upcoming FLW or Stren, don't remember which. It's a cheap way to get a guide trip on new water.
Might be true and is a way to play the game, fair? Not sure but a way.

As for the pairings I don't see any advantage for the Pro. I think I would rather have a nobody that was quite and submissive. You blink an eye and your back seater might get one of your fish?

Oh yeah and isn't BASS coming back to the Delta next year maybe he's shopping that event.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It's too bad guys exploit the system because they can. I've seen the special treatment before and if you complain look out! Too bad a guy with his resume can't go out and have enough confidence to compete!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Ish's backseaters normally blank. I havent really heard much about him "backseating" them, I've heard that its more about how he fishes.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Thats how he fishes. Its not a backseating per say, he just fishes without you getting one decent cast in.

Like I said on the other post This is a new way to play the game and if you can afford to do it and other guys are in fact doing it then you really can't afford to not do it.

I just would have went out and fished with Barrick or Cooch and get more out of it I think.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Maybe he lost his boating license because of a BWI.
That's what I was thinking or maybe some health issues that keeps him from being the captain/Pro.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
My dad used to fish with Gliebe I have a great story for you sometime.
I talked to him every day of the tournament. He is a bass cat guy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts