Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a to repair a hole on a boat made of RAMX what would you use? JB Weld, Fiber Glass, or something else?

·
Banned
4,454 Posts
A torch and some similar plastic. Clean and abrade the area well first.

We have fixed small holes with a plastic cap from a soda bottle and a lighter (while on river trips).

A buddy had to fix a big whole in a roto molded plastic (hog island) boat while on the Grand, Hance was not too friendly. He used a torch and extra plastic...

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A torch and some similar plastic. Clean and abrade the area well first.

We have fixed small holes with a plastic cap from a soda bottle and a lighter (while on river trips).

A buddy had to fix a big whole in a roto molded plastic (hog island) boat while on the Grand, Hance was not too friendly. He used a torch and extra plastic...
I've actually thought about this before. I could see it being a good temporary fix if you're in a bad situation. Do you know off hand what types of plastic hold the same composition as RAMX?

Dave, I've done some plastic welding and it is not too difficult. have you checked into an epoxy patch. I am wondering if the PVC cement could be used with a small piece of plastic to close the hole.

http://www.entegrisfluidhandling.com/Default.asp?G=1017&ln=en
Actually no, I have not checked into the epoxy patch. I’ll have to do that. I might just give you a holler once I am ready to start fixing the problem. I was either going to go the route of JB weld or just use fiber glass. I appreciate the response on maybegoing a different route.

Maybe run some fiber glass or JB weld down the keel and the sides to add protection from abrasion. Ideally I would like to add a little extra protection once this hole is fixed so I can avoid problems in the future.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
jb weld sucks(jmo), i do plastic repairs on vehicle bumpers alot dont see why it would be much different than your boat. we use a specific tool its basically a soldering iron but with a flat tip bout the size of a dime. for reinforcement i'll ment in a piece of wire mesh,like door screen, then coner it with more melted plastic. 3M has come out with a new epoxy that works very well,it aint cheap though,and as with any plastic repair surface prep is key! it must be cleaned properly and no contaimination. napa,carquest both sell it. i would still melt in the wire for strength. as for the keel a "keel shield" would stick to the plastic and take care of scratches and scrapes and they last forever.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
JB Weld is pretty good stuff, but I think its too rigid. Some form of epoxy (fiberglas patch) would be more flexible and less likely ot break in my opinion as long as it sticks well to the RAM-X plastic ok. Epoxy sticks to most things better than poly resin (even polly resin) so even though its not UV resistant I would probably go with the epoxy and then just sand it and paint over it to protect it. I think I would make a small fibergalss board or sheet first to go inside, a piece to fit the hole, and then an over patch piece, and resin it all in place after roughing up the plastic good.

·
Banned
4,454 Posts
I've actually thought about this before. I could see it being a good temporary fix if you're in a bad situation. Do you know off hand what types of plastic hold the same composition as RAMX?

Ramx is...single layer polyethylene plastic (RamX ™)

It is one of the more common types of plastic.

Depending on the size of the hole... I would clean and sand w/80 grit, the area of repair. Keep the boat or ? in the hot sun, heat the area of repair and then drip melted (not burned) plastic into the area. That flat head solder iron (as mentioned) is great to smooth and finish the patch.

I have used that 3m plastic epoxy and if I remember right this is one of the plastics it does not work with. I used the epoxy and a metal rod to fix the handle of one of my pricey oars and it couldn't of failed at much of a worse time. My handle came off this past trip on the Middle Fork. I was just making a needed (luckily not a must) pull to clear a hole. My handle came off in my hand, I ended up in the hole.

Because of expansion/contraction and the properties of this plastic, I feel the plastic weld is the only way to go. I have seen glass and epoxy patches fail (eventually/always) when applied to Coleman or the like.

Just my half pennies worth...

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
hey bro I used to patch tubs,... hot tubs, bath tubs, etc. I have some epoxy sticks and poly based resins you can have; and a heat gun, and air brush you can use,. if you want to try and fix it your self (or with my help) your welcome to any of it.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses on this, appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts