Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got the new boat and its a fish and ski. The kids and my wife like the ski part. My wife and i want the fish part but where to put the rods? I see others on the lake with F/S and would like any ideas on this. We have a 18f Skeeter. I know ive seen other skeeters and a really nice white Champian F/S and some Pro Crafts so where do you put all those rods? Im now starting to leave some at home to avoid the opps i dident me to step on that thing that happens. IM thinking wake board tower with the kids wake boards on one side and my rods on the other then i can blast some Ozzy for the other wake boarders? Any ideas would help. Thanks, Deckhand

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
You may want to check Cabela's or BPS. They have different tie downs for putting the rods on the deck. If you have a long enough front deck, this may be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Hello deckhand
I have a 20ft 200combo thats a F/S I got some rodsavers from walmart they are velcro straps . I screwed them to the front deck of mine they work great. I dont know how much room you have up there I was able to get 2 on mine. A short one & a longer one. I use the longer one if I'm only going a short distance. The rod tips hang over the side about 2". Hope this helps

Joe C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a 18' Astro F/S since 96. I have waterskied only once. Thought I would ski more but I don't have kids and since you need 3 people....It's usually me and the wife or my brother. (See, I don't have any friends! :? )This is what I've done. My ski locker was never long enough, so with a saws-all I cut the fiberglass piece (towards the bow) that kept the skis from going up front. I have never lost anything towards the bow. The rod locker on the side sucks and I keep my night lite etc. in it. I built a little platform up front and built a sliding "tackle box" in the hollow space below it. (The new one's probably have something like that.) That huge space under the steering wheel, I cut the fiberglass and built 2 huge sliding drawers (stacked on top of each other) that slides out in the isle. With those two things I keep all my tackle, plano boxes, worm bags, everything. (I have alot of stuff.) It's nice to have all that stuff out of the way and not tripping all over yourself.(especially when anchored at night with a few beers in ya :wink: ) I don't know how the new boats are, but I don't have a huge amount of room. As for rods. The two storage compartments on the bow, I screwed a rod saver (or make your own velcro strap) on each of them. I keep (usually) 3 rods on each side. The other rods and reels I keep on the side of the passenger seat. I usually carry 9 to 12 rods depending on who's fishing in the back. If your going to beach it, put some kind of cleat up by the troll motor so your not always yanking or tying off the sucker. Like I said I've only skied(sp) once so I've made everything for fishing. Sorry so long. Hope it helps. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. The BPS gave me some good ideas. Joe, did you mount the straps into the carpeted deck or the fiberglass body. My bow isnt a big as yours im sure but if somthing was mounted to the topside where the handrails are that might work. Thanks again for your ideas. Deckhand

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Peg-it, I never thought about the ski locker ive tried there before but that board was blocking it like you said. Ill check that out tomarrow. Sounds like you have done a lot of cool things to your boat! Deckhand

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
DH I mounted the straps to the carpeted deck with 1/2" screws.I have about 5'7" from the wind sheild to the bow That is flat deck. The sides on my front deck are only 4" tall. What I did was mount my DF close to my TM and so I could strap my rods to the deck I put the reels towards the bow & use the short strap there & tips to the rear with the longer strap.like I said they stick out a little. Never have any problems with them. I did not want to get into the fiberglass. If that dont work try your ski locker like peg - it talked about. You might want to put some padding in there so they dont get beat up while your moving.
Hope you come up with something

Joe C

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Where to put fishing gear in a F&S? We have a 19' Champion and have our share of stuff! The side lockers in the bow hold the ski pole, flag, ER kit, net, anchor, vests, fire extinguisher (and yes, I actually check in now and again :lol: ), towels, kids (if you get creative you can make them fit :twisted: etc. The center locker in the deck has rod holders and the shorter rods can go there. Anything longer than 6' gets caught in the wires. We don't ski so the floor locker in between the seats holds rods (even the long ones) although that locker gets wet when driving the boat. The rest go on the sides of the passenger and driver seat. Took one of the back seats out and have a large plastic tackle box with goodies. We had thought about doing like Peg-it and building more storage under the consoles. Lot of wasted space there but we're holding off because we'd like a regular bass boat with a REAL front deck. We bought some straps to put on the front deck but our deck is too short and I'm a clutz so all the rods on the front deck and I'd be doing hull inspections just like Jack!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Very funny NC, shouldn't you be picking on Rookieboy?..I have a 87 procraft fish and ski and it has one compartment that will accomodate rods but it is a pain to get them in and out so I just strap them down on the front deck or toss them in the back If I am fishing alone(which I seem to do alot lately). I also made a box that sits in between the front deck seats that holds most of my tackle and gave me a little extra deck to fish from or fall off of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts