Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
big lake sucked this year never caught a limit never caught a fish over 10 inches so i went to nelson did ok caught 13 rainbow and caught a decent rainbow all of them were caught on a number 5 deep runner rapala.

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Very nice! Big lake will get better as winter approaches!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think it has a better ramp than big lakes ramp, even thoe its a one lane it gose out further and theres no drop off. idk about bass ive heard theres crappie in there but u never know what people are really catching in there hell i was at roosevelt and talked to a guy that said he caught a limit of trout witch thats bull shit they were just small bass or somthing. i did catch some monster sunfish like half pounders to almost one pounders on that deep runner rapala

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Big Lake is bad this year?? That sucks... I went last year around this time and I wouldn't even consider it fishing, it was more along the lines of just straight catching. Lots of naturals and apaches too, minimal stockers...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Lake is bad this year?? That sucks... I went last year around this time and I wouldn't even consider it fishing, it was more along the lines of just straight catching. Lots of naturals and apaches too, minimal stockers...
exactley its like there was a die off or somthing the fish we did catch were not stockers they were small and they hatched and grew up there we didnt catch one stocker we only caught maybe 6 fish all day long between 3 people and out of those fish there were only like 3 that were eatable.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
you gotta hit the res dude. Way better fishing then natl. forest land IMHO. And I hear some trout do make it down into rosey.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dude no way man haha!! have u seen or heard anybody catch trout out of roosevelt?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I fished up at Big Lake last week and it was hit and miss. Some tries we got nothing while on another I limited out in about 1.5 hours. Biggest was 13.5 caught by my 5 year old. Fished Crescent Lake too and it really sucked. My 3 year old got a 14.5 rainbow and I snagged a 12 but that was it after hours of fishing. I talked to a guy that was staying up at Hawley lake and had been fishing Reservation lake and he said it was slow there too.
I tried spinners, spoons, worms and powerbait. It hailed like a mother on us yesterday morning too! The hail was the size of a marble and got to be 2 inches thick! Crazy how the weather changes up there.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
don't know anyone personally just stories, but when the tonto is flowing I don't see why some wouldn't make it down. Cant believe no one has chimed in on this yet.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i'll chime in on the stocker or not stockers that josh was refering to. rainbow trout must have running water to spawn, they can't spawn in a lake, so 99% of the trout you catch out of most all white mountain lakes were stockers at one time. they do stock what they call fingerlings that grow into what would be a stocker size fish. and there are, or used to be, crappie in nelson. we used to catch the hell out of em there in the summer on small powerbait crappie jigs. not tryin to be a smart ass, just informin.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
exactley its like there was a die off or somthing the fish we did catch were not stockers they were small and they hatched and grew up there we didnt catch one stocker we only caught maybe 6 fish all day long between 3 people and out of those fish there were only like 3 that were eatable.
Damn man, that's terrible... Hopefully it picks up, that lake is one of the best trout lakes in AZ!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll chime in on the stocker or not stockers that josh was refering to. rainbow trout must have running water to spawn, they can't spawn in a lake, so 99% of the trout you catch out of most all white mountain lakes were stockers at one time. they do stock what they call fingerlings that grow into what would be a stocker size fish. and there are, or used to be, crappie in nelson. we used to catch the hell out of em there in the summer on small powerbait crappie jigs. not tryin to be a smart ass, just informin.
thanks for the info i had no idea!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why woudn't there be some trout in Roosevelt? Not saying its a viable fishery for them, but why wouldn't some work their way into the lake especially during or just after flood levels in the creeks.

ok ya that makes sense. to bad that lake isnt stocked with them (bass bait!!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts