Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pictures should demonstrate pretty clearly why I use a balance beam instead of a scale for tournament fishing.

Even with the high dollar ones like Cul-M-Rite I have seen similar results.

The flat table scale shows consistency of .005 with my certified 10 kilo calibration weight. I have the scale currently set to a resolution of .01 because most local tournaments only weigh to .01. This is the scale I currently use for Yuma Pro Am. It has a fully charged battery, and weighed the same both off battery and off AC power.

I used a ten pound barbell (which is not exactly 10 pounds) because it more closely aproximates the largest bass an angler is likely to catch. This should adequately demonstrate that the digital scale does not weigh consistently each time, and that it will not even detect a difference that is clearly within the resolution of most tournament scales. This is actually one of the better digital scales I have had. It has a brand new out of the package battery, and I checked it with a volt meter before installing it. The scale still showed a variance of 3 ounces (that is 0.1875 pounds) with a single weight. I gently lifted and lowered the weight each time. That is more than enough weight to cost you a paycheck. It can be even worse with a bouncing fish, and a battery of unknown age.

Each image is a clickable thumbnail which shows the actual scale readouts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
+1 on the balance beam Bob.

Realistically, there are very few times when a person will be culling three pound fish. Most of the time, you're pretty happy to be culling 2+ pounders, and, if you're like me, you're always upgrading by a half ounce on pound and a quarter fish! My experience has been that electronic scales have a bigger margin of error on small fish than on fish over two and a half pounds. I don't even carry an electronic scale in the boat any longer. The balance beam I use is probably older than most tournament anglers and has never failed yet.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
The berkley scale and pretty much any scale you buy is junk, if your looking for good accurate weights, there calibration leaves alot to be desired. and in no way should be used for a cull scale .Pretty much every tourny angler knows this, if they dont they find out the hard way. The wont accurately read weights certain spots on the scale will be off by alot, there is also a problem with the parts rubbing made and assembled together cheaply that puts strain/rubs on a non moving surface causing a not accurate reading.

A balance beam is great,but people dont take care of them and they need to be taken care of. but it also depends on the balance beam itself cause some are made not to accurate.
if there is any flat spots in the parts you will get no great results. I ahve seen people using shower curtain hangers that have a flat side running through the hole, thats not good as it wont give you a good swivel. round hole needs a round part any flat part contact and your balance beam will be off.
After a while of use your balance beam will get waer spots in it, if you have wear spots in it its not that accurate. but generally close enough for tournys and if a fish is that close it could be due to a few drops of water on one side vs the other side.

For a cull scale the cul-m-rite is about the best damn one out there and they are very accurate and alot faster than a cul-m-rite once you know how to use them they will also tell you which fish to toss out and give you a total weight.
if you dont want to spend the money on a cull scale then a balance beam is the only way to go.

I believe there is only 2 highend DEPENDABLE cull scales on the market, the cul-m-rite and a shimano one? the cul-m-rite runs somewhere around 300 bucks the other was 400 something.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not seen the Shimano. The two Cul-M-Rite scales I have used performed similarly to my demo. (two of my regular fishing buddies use them) They worked, but the same fish could easily vary by a tenth. Perhaps they were both defective or perhaps holding a fish up by the scale is too complicated for me, but the balance beam is very consistent. Certainly better resolution than that.

I very much liked the storage feature, but I don't really have a problem remembering which float ball has the small fish in my livewell. (Its usually the only one in there. LOL.)

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
What happens if both fish balance out? Do you keep the prettiest one?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
What happens if both fish balance out? Do you keep the prettiest one?
Prettiest one stays in!! They never balance out, but if they do, keep the one you've had in the livewell the longest, they will lose weight in the livewell because they are stressed. Thats what i'd do, or the livelyest one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's pretty simple if your paying $300 to $400 for a scale its not going to be that accurate. Good accurate scales cost a lot of money. I think the advice already given about a good condition balance beam is a much better option when it comes to ounces.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
i thought you meant a gymnastic apparatus!!! that i wanted to see!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts