Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was given an 8000 pound Warn Winch for my 4x4. An 07 2500HD Crew Cab. I have been looking for a good way to mount it that will be effective when I need it, look decent, and not cost a ton of money. Eventually I would like to put on the big Warn winch bumper, but I just do not have the cash to buy it right now. Not even from the Ebay traders. I just spent my extra cash on a good compressor, wagon jack, and a few other get unstuck tools to throw in behind the seat. Well, that and I just sent off the check for my new outboard motor this morning. I am effectively broke. Might have to borrow some cash from Patti to fish the Working Man tommorrow.

I was thinking of making some kind of mount for it, and cutting a hole in the current stock bumper, and just bolting the roller assembly over the hole. You guys have any other ideas that might be better?

Actual fishing content: I have had it stuck once. One the way back from one of my walk in fishing adventures. I didn't need a winch that time. Just flattened the tires, did a little shovel work, and drove it out.

I have another walk in fishing adventure planned where I do not know the drive in part of the terrain at all, so I am trying to be as prepared as I can be.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You can do a remote mount you can buy or make a receiver hitch for the frt of your truck.I made my own for my Bronco & took a long ball mount and built a mount for the winch and bolted to it. Did the big grey battery disconnect. That way when you are no off roading don't haul it around leave it in the shop.

·
Registered
676 Posts
if you can mount it behind the bumper and just have a hole with the rollers it will look pretty good i have a 77 done that way dont know what all is behind the bumper on an 07 but if there is room go for it

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put a front receiver on the truck, then mount winch on a plate on a front draw bar?

Ugy when using it, but not a bad idea. Have to figure out what I want to do with the cables then. Maybe get one of those giant plugs like on the cables of my electric scissor lift.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yep on the battey plug and you can make it short to hide behind the grill & long on the winch. You can also run a power cable to the rear and use it there short one for grd to hitch all you see is the receiver in the frt of the truck.That way you can use it frt or rear
It's no big deal to build the mount draw bar/channel iron/ 1/2" plate weld on frt / cut center out for cable bolt on roller fairlead bent round stock for handles on ends easy.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... sounds like I need to go lay down under the front of my truck and study on this some. I know HF has the unattached receiver sections... I have a little C-Channel left over from some other projects. Not sure about the round stock or the 1/2 plate, but hey... I grew up in Dateland. Us country boys could make a night on the town out of two safety pins, a case of beer, and a dead cactus. A special one if the radio in the truck would pick up anything. LOL.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I have a 15000# Warn and the Warn hidden winch bumper. Looks just like the original but a few inches out and has nice black plastic trim pieces. I burned up a 9500# Ramsey trying to get my F250 out of a mud bog so I went big.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts